Members of the association today, Wednesday (Nov 11) attended a small service ( due to Covid restrictions ) at 11am on the 11th day of the 11th month to remember those who have fallen in war. This replicated a similar service by the whole School held Nov.7th 1946 ( see Military History below ) .
Professor Ken Board and Lieutenant David Mathias ( former pupils ) placed wreaths at the war memorial in the grounds of the St. Elli Church. The service was led by the Reverend Canon Huw Mosford.
Veterans and former pupils of the school including Thomas J Morgan, Noel Rees (former pupil and teacher ) , Paul Oram, Dr. Roger Thomas and George Parker gathered to pay their respects on a crisp autumn day in the town.
Of special note is that Thomas Morgan who entered the School in 1944, who attendance this service, also attended as a pupil with the whole School in 1946, again at this St Elli Church. The similar service ( as referred above ) commemorated the same former pupils who fell in the two World Wars. At this time in 1946 the Headmaster was Mr. T V Shaw, who gave an address on the text ‘‘Faithful unto death” and also read the Roll of Honour .
Thomas Morgan subsequently, as many former pupils , went on to have an illustrious career as a Consultant Civil Engineer , designing major industrial structures primarily in South Africa, over a period of 40 years, retiring with his wife back in Llanelli.
People on the street stood in silence as the church bell struck 11 o’clock.
Following the service some members of the association retired to Llanelly House for refreshments.